Note: For privacy reasons, living people are not identified in this blog without permission.

Cheers!

If you would like to be contacted about a comment, you must leave me a way to reach you. Please include your email address. Thank you!

Follow This Blog!

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

1880 U.S. Census Napa, CA - The Flanagan's

The above document of the 1880 U.S. Census for the Napa, CA area took some doing to locate.  As everyone can see, the document is filed under Polk Flannigan.  Talk about butchering Patrick Flanagan's name a bit.  The census taker abbreviated Patrick as Patk.  Then the transcriber onto Ancestry.com wrote his name as Polk.  It amazes me sometimes that anyone can find what they are looking for with all of the mispelled names.  This one took some digging and various searches to locate.

The fact that the ages match my great-great grandparents ages as does the location helped me find this record.  Luckily the children are listed including my great grandfather, John Flanagan.  The best way to find my Flanagan's is to find Ignatius Flanagan.   It is not the most common name, especially in Napa, CA.

No comments:

Post a Comment