Note: For privacy reasons, living people are not identified in this blog without permission.

Cheers!

If you would like to be contacted about a comment, you must leave me a way to reach you. Please include your email address. Thank you!

Follow This Blog!

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Descendant - Thomas S. McLaughlin - Part 2


Sent: Monday, May 28, 2012 9:41 AM
Subject: RE: McLaughlin Relative

Hi T, 

This is very exciting and I am so glad that you got in touch.  I have been slowly finding other McLaughlin relatives over the past two years.  For whatever reason, the McLaughlin side of our family didn't keep in close touch.  I don't exactly know why.  I have found that though after a few generations pass that people forget to keep in touch or just don't know who people are.

My great grandmother was the oldest child of Thomas Michael McLaughlin and Ellen Maxwell.  Her name was Mary "Minnie" Elizabeth McLaughlin.  Her married name was Flanagan.  She was born in Austin, Nevada in 1870.  Her siblings were Ellen (Ella Heflin once married), Catherine (Katie, never married), Thomas S., Anna "Dolly" (Anna Lewis), Joseph, and Hugh Robert.  The family moved to Napa, CA in 1886 from Austin, Nevada.  All of the children except Hugh Robert were born in Nevada and he was born in Napa.  I also have Thomas Michael McLaughlin's death certificate.

My mom was born and raised in Napa, California as were both of my grandparents.  My grandfather, Richard Joseph Flanagan, was one of Mary Elizabeth McLaughlin's children.  I have quite a bit of family history in Napa.  I spent a lot of time there as a child. 

About two weeks ago, I finally got a photo of the whole McLaughlin family.  My side is definitely short on any photos of the McLaughlin's.  The photo that I have is of Thomas and Ellen McLaughlin's 50th wedding anniversary in about 1919, Napa, CA.  I would love to have photos.  My mom's cousin's can probably identify the people if we don't know who they are too.  So feel free to scan and send them via email.

I must say that where I lack photos,  I have information about our family tree.  There have been at least five researchers that have really paved the way on the McLaughlin/Maxwell Family tree back to Ireland.  Ireland is where the research is rather stopped and stuck right now.  Needless to say, what we have stateside in the way of information is pretty amazing though.  I only found it about 2 years ago.

When it comes to Austin, Nevada, I have never been there but I do have the church records that were retrieved by another relative from Napa.  His name was Thomas Malloy and he is a cousin on our Maxwell side.  That might be a little confusing as there is a bit of information to explain on who is who.

I too have been to Ireland but was not researching our family tree at the time.  I did stay with Flanagan Relatives.  My Flanagan's first came to Napa in 1870 and kept ties to Ireland.  There was a brief break in ties but they found our family in Napa and we've kept in touch ever since.  The Flanagan Family farm is in Termonfechin, Louth, Ireland.  For 240 years, generations of Flanagan's have lived in that same location.  It's pretty amazing.  They actually drove over to County Longford almost two years ago to find McLaughlin information for me but to no avail.  I have not given up on that just yet though.

Did you go to St. John's in Napa, CA to do some research?  Funny, I have never been there to look at their church records but have been to that church many times.  I was baptized in Napa at that church.  My parents were married there and the history goes on.  The original church was torn down in the 1960s and the church was replaced.  Both my mom and my grandfather went to St. John's Catholic School.

There is a lot of longevity in our genes. I can share a lot more information with you too.  My great grandmother, Minnie McLaughlin Flanagan, passed away in 1949, aged 79.  My grandfather, one of her sons, Richard Flanagan, passed away in 2000 at the age of 88.  My mom was basically an only child. 

I leave you with this information:

Thomas Shaffrey McLaughlin's parents were Thomas Michael McLaughlin and Ellen Maxwell.  Thomas Michael McLaughlin was born in Upstate New York on 19 Feb. 1840, at the Irish Settlement in Newport, Herkimer County, New York.  He was the oldest of 7 children.   His parents were James M. McLaughlin and Mary Ellen Gartlan.  James was born on 25 Oct. 1816 in Ringowny, Parish of Edgeworthstown, County Longford, Ireland.  He immigrated to the Irish Settlement in New York around 1823 via Quebec, Canada with his parents and siblings.  Mary Ellen Gartlan was born on 1 Aug 1816 in and around Carrickmacross, County Monaghan, Ireland.  She too immigrated to the Irish Settlement with her parents and siblings around 1824.

James M. McLaughlin's parents were Michael and Marcella McLaughlin.  Mary Ellen Gartlan's parents were James Gartlan and Hannah Fox.  They are all buried at the Irish Settlement Cemetery just outside of Newport, New York.

Thomas S.'s mother, Ellen Maxwell, immigrated from the Shancarnan area, Parish of Moynalty, County Meath, Ireland in 1854 with her parents and siblings to the Irish Settlement in Newport, New York.  Ellen was born in Ireland on 22 March 1846.  She was the 4th oldest of 8 children for Joseph Patrick Maxwell and Judith "Julia" Shaffrey.  After Julia passed away, Joseph married Rebecca O'Harriet and had two more children.

I have more information.  A McLaughlin researcher dug through all of the church records in Newport, New York and wrote it all down.  He also visited Austin, Nevada, to complete extensive research.  He found information in the local newspaper archives there.

Thomas Michael McLaughlin and Ellen Maxwell (married in 1869) were not the only ones to leave the Irish Settlement in New York and head to Austin, Nevada.  Thomas' brothers followed.  They were James, Francis "Frank", and Hugh McLaughlin.  Ellen's sister Catherine Maxwell also ended up there where she married Philip Duffy.  The Duffy's moved onto Napa, CA too.

I hope that I did not just throw too much information at you to overwhelm.

I have more.  I'd love any photos that you might have too.

Let's chat soon. 

By the way, I live in Carmichael, CA near Sacramento.

I was recently looking for Thomas S. McLaughlin's last resting place.  I have it written down in family records at Rockville Cemetery in Fairfield, CA (Suisun Valley).  I actually grew up near there in Fairfield.  Upon my visit to the cemetery, they could only find Alice Loney's headstone.  They went through records but did not find information to indicate that Thomas is buried there.  I could send you their reply.  He and Alice both passed away in Mendocino County.  There are other Loney's buried at Rockville Cemetery. I am assuming they are more of your ancestors. 

KME


No comments:

Post a Comment